Montezuma is a small town located in Parke County, Indiana. It has a population of 1,919 people as of 2010 and covers an area of about 0.4 square miles. The town is situated in the northwestern part of the state, close to the Wabash River and several other small bodies of water. It experiences warm summers and cold winters with an average annual temperature around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Montezuma dates back to the 1830s when it was founded by a group of settlers from North Carolina, Ohio, and Kentucky. In 1837, the town was officially incorporated and it quickly grew into an important trading center in the area with several stores and businesses popping up. Over time, Montezuma became known for its brickyards which made many buildings throughout Indiana as well as some parts of Illinois.
Politically, Montezuma is located in Parke County which leans heavily Republican in its voting patterns. The economy is primarily driven by agriculture but there are also several small businesses such as restaurants, stores, and service providers that offer employment opportunities for locals.
The town has one public school system which includes both elementary and high schools as well as a continuation school for students who need additional help to finish their studies or want to pursue post-secondary education opportunities. Additionally, there are two private schools located within 20 miles from Montezuma: St Mary’s Catholic School in Rockville (10 miles) and Clinton Baptist Academy (20 miles).
Montezuma also has some interesting landmarks worth visiting such as Memorial Park which honors veterans from all wars; the historic Fort Harrison State Park; Cataract Falls State Recreation Area; Turkey Run State Park; Pioneer Village Museum; Rockville Lake Park; Red Bridge Park; and many more attractions that make this small town unique!
Population: 1,179. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,151 (-2.4% change)
Males: 589 (50.0%), Females: 590 (50.0%)
Zip code: 47862
Median resident age: 37.3 years
Median household income: $31,111
Median house value: $46,200
Races in Montezuma:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.4%)
- Black (2.0%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (22.9%), German (18.1%), Irish (9.7%), English (5.3%), Italian (2.2%), Dutch (1.9%).
Elevation: 501 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Montezuma is a small rural town located in Parke County, Indiana. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is located about 30 miles from the nearest city. The majority of the population is made up of families and retirees, with a median age of 44 years old. The cost of living in Montezuma is very reasonable compared to other parts of the state. The median home price in Montezuma is $95,000, which is well below the national average. Utilities are also quite affordable, with an average monthly bill for electricity coming in around $100 per month. Groceries and other necessities are also reasonable compared to other parts of Indiana. Property taxes are low as well; homeowners can expect to pay just under $1,500 each year on their property taxes. In terms of transportation costs, gas prices tend to be lower than other parts of the state due to its rural location. Overall, Montezuma offers its residents a great quality of life at an affordable cost.
For population 25 years and over in Montezuma
- High school or higher: 80.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.4%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montezuma town
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 53.6%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 15.7%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +42 (+3.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montezuma:
- WEST CENTRAL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; CLINTON, IN)
- HAMILTON CENTER INC (about 21 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN)
- UNION HOSPITAL INC (about 21 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montezuma:
- TERRE HAUTE INTERNATIONAL-HULMAN FIELD (about 25 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Abbreviation: HUF)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; LAFAYETTE, IN; Abbreviation: LAF)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS-WILLARD (about 65 miles; CHAMPAIGN/URBANA, IL; Abbreviation: CMI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montezuma:
- CLINTON (about 7 miles; CLINTON, IN; Abbreviation: 1I7)
- SKY KING (about 18 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Abbreviation: 3I3)
- EDGAR COUNTY (about 22 miles; PARIS, IL; Abbreviation: PRG)
According to andyeducation, Indiana has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montezuma:
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,597)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-WABASH VALLEY (about 28 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,099)
- DEPAUW UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; GREENCASTLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 54 miles; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 36,407)
- EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; CHARLESTON, IL; Full-time enrollment: 9,582)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN (about 65 miles; Champaign, IL; Full-time enrollment: 36,284)
- PARKLAND COLLEGE (about 67 miles; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,186)
Public high school in Montezuma:
- RIVERTON PARKE JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 478; Location: 4851 S COXVILLE RD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Montezuma:
- MONTEZUMA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 232; Location: 459 E STRAWBERRY RD; Grades: KG – 06)
Library in Montezuma:
- MONTEZUMA PL (Operating income: $44,085; Location: 212 CRAWFORD ST; 14,591 books; 42 audio materials; 1,320 video materials; 50 serial subscriptions)